Supervisor: Executive Director
Hours: 40 hours/week;
Hours vary and include periodic weekends and evening.
Preferred school year schedule 10 AM to 7 PM
The Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside (BGCC) is a multi-faceted organization currently consisting of a school-based program at Cunha Intermediate School, a drop-in center for teens, and 3 sports leagues. Our Club offers dynamic programs including academic support, leadership development, sports and recreation for members ages 6-18. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of young people by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, and belonging.
The Program Director will work as part of a small and engaged team including the Executive Director, Education Director and the Cunha Site Manager to develop and deliver high-quality programming at BGCC. The Program Director will be directly responsible for all non-academic programs and ensuring the proper and robust use of facilities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
BGCC Sports Programs
- Act as a liaison between the leadership teams for Coastside Basketball, Half Moon Bay Soccer Club, and the Half Moon Bay Surf Club to ensure open communication; to provide programmatic support and to facilitate adherence to fiscal, governance, and safety protocols.
- Track members and participation in BGCC membership software.
BGCC Summer Camp
- In collaboration, plan and deliver programming for six week educational and enrichment summer camp program for middle school students.
- In partnership, secure guest leaders for summer camp.
- Responsible for scheduling facilities, transportation, and field trips.
- With the Cunha Site Manager, schedule and supervise paid camp staff – typically local college students.
- Select, train, and supervise Junior Staff (high school students) who support BGCC summer camp.
- Assist with outreach, marketing, registration, and other administrative aspect of BGCC Summer Camp.
BGCC Golf Program
BGCC offers three seasons of golf instruction and competition for middle and high school aged girls in partnership with the Half Moon Bay Golf Links. The Program Director will be responsible for managing this partnership and all non-instructional aspects of this program including outreach, recruiting and scheduling. Program Director is not responsible for golf instruction.
Cunha After School Athletics
During the 2020-2021 school year, BGCC will begin a new partnership with Cunha Intermediate School to oversee all middle school after school sports programming. The Program Director will be responsible for learning all aspects of this operation. Then, in collaboration with school leadership, the Program Director will help the Executive Director and the Board of Directors craft a long-term vision and structure for a Cunha After School athletics program that is robust, inclusive, and sustainable.
CUSD Facilities Supported by BGCC
The Program Director will work with the Executive Director and Board Facilities Committee to facilitate the use and maintenance of properties that have been built with BGCC support on CUSD campuses. These include, amongst others, the Event Center and Cunha Soccer Complex. Specific responsibilities include
- Processing facilities requests.
- Scheduling custodial service.
- Checking permits and monitoring unpermitted users.
- Helping BGCC and CUSD to develop a growth mindset for use of facilities to support Club and community goals.
- Coordinating on-going care of these facilities including both minor repairs and planning for deferred maintenance and capital improvements
The Program Director will work with other programs and staff to develop a more comprehensive vision for Boys and Girls Club programming. This includes expanded content offerings – perhaps music or dance and expanded coverage — programing outside of school days and summer camp (i.e. teacher work days and school vacations.) and programming for more age groups.
- Attend and assist with organization and administration of special BGCC programs and events, including, for example, the Harlem Wizards event, Youth of the Year celebration, Easter Egg Hunt, Alumni event, and community parades.
- Represent BGCC at events in the community and on social media.
- May serve as “Manager on Duty” in the absence of other staff.
- Consult with parents concerning member and Club issues.
- Maintain close contact with Club leadership, staff, and members to process information, discuss issues, interpret guidelines, advise and counsel.
- Support BGCC safety priorities by assisting with monitoring background checks, staff training requirements and observance of other best practices for programs and facilities.
- Assist other staff in development and delivery of programming.
Knowledge and Skills
- A. degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities for the successful performance of the essential job duties.
- Training and experience working with young people in recreational and educational settings.
- Training and experience supporting young people from diverse and low-income backgrounds.
- Knowledge of youth development strategies and successful program implementation.
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish would be helpful.
- Knowledge of the Coastside and coastal communities desired but not required.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Demonstrated organizational, staff and project management abilities.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Background check.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (training will be provided if not current).
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Full health benefits for employee paid for by Club.Employee can purchase coverage through the Club for family members.
- Simple IRA with Club match.
- Meaningful work.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter that speaks to your qualifications for and interest in this position and a resume to ExecDirector@bgccoastside.org
Initial application reviews will begin on April 13, 2020 and the position will remain open until filled.
BGCC is an equal opportunity employer.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of this employee. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.