Title: Education Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Hours: 25-30 hours per week while school is in session*
25-30 hours per week during 6 weeks of Summer Camp*
The Boys & Girls Club of the Coastside (BGCC) is a unique organization consisting of a school-based program at Cunha Intermediate School, a drop-in center for teens, and 3 sports leagues. Our Club offers dynamic programs including academic support, leadership development, sports and recreation for members ages 6-18. Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of young people by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, and belonging.
The Education Director will work as part of a small, engaged and dedicated team including the Executive Director and the Cunha Site Manager to ensure high-quality programming at BGCC.
Specifically, the Education Director will be responsible for three distinct but related areas.
Professional Development and Staff Support
- Provide professional development that empowers Youth Development Professionals (YDPs) — our program staff – to be effective as they assist our middle school-aged members during Power Hour (homework time).
- Observe YDPs on the job and support them with strategies for effective individual tutoring and group management.
- Assist the Cunha Site Manager to coordinate training and support for YDPs.
- Collaborate with the Cunha Site Manager to develop and implement educational programming for middle school members during the school year and for summer camp.
- Assess local community resources to support high school age youth during out of school time.
- Develop and implement a strategy for programming at the Teen Center.
- Collaborate with partners to strength the Teen Center.
- Supervise YDPs assigned to Teen Center.
- Represent BGCC on committees and work groups at Half Moon Bay High School.
Evaluation and Outcomes
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to ensure BGCC meets all grant requirements including coordination of assessments and evaluations.
- Coordinate national BGCA assessment mechanisms including the National Youth Outcomes Survey.
- Support the evaluation of Club programs on a continual basis and to ensure program and activities respond to member needs.
- Provide outcomes data as needed to Executive Director for fundraising activities.
- Attend and assist with organization and administration of special BGCC programs and events as necessary.
- May serve as “Manager on Duty” in the absence of the Cunha Site Manager.
- Consult with parents concerning member and Club issues.
- Maintain close contact with Club leadership, staff, and members to process information, discuss issues, interpret guidelines, advise and counsel.
Knowledge and Skills
- A degree in a related field (or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities for the successful performance of the essential job duties)
- Training and experience working with young people in an educational setting.
- Training and experience supporting young people from diverse and low-income backgrounds.
- Knowledge of youth development strategies and successful program implementation.
- Teaching experience would be valuable.
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish would be helpful.
- Knowledge of the Coastside and coastal communities desired but not required.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Demonstrated organizational, staff and project management abilities.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Background check.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (training will be provided if not current).
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Health benefits can be included for employees working 30 hours/week.
- Retirement benefits with employer match.
- Meaningful work.
- Flexible scheduling.
*We follow the Cabrillo Unified School District calendar.
Preferred schedule, but flexible for the right candidate.
- Approximately 12-6 PM Monday to Thursday during the school year and
- Approximately 8 AM to 1 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday during summer camp.
This position would be ideal for a teacher who needs to supplement a smaller class load.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter that speaks to your qualifications for this position and a resume to ExecDirector@bgccoastside.org
Initial review will begin on January 21st. The position will remain open until filled.
BGCC is an equal opportunity employer.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of this employee. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.